St Clement's Retreat and Conference Centre is situated among rolling hills 5 klms from the village of Galong on the south western slopes of NSW.
The tradition of hospitality to all began at Galong when Irish transportee Edward 'Ned' Ryan settled there in the late 1820's. In due time, through the will of his son John Nagle Ryan, the property passed to the Redemptorist Congregation who established a monastery and a juvenate named for St Clement's Hofbauer (1751-1820), in 1918. Some one thousand young men were educated at Galong before the college closed in 1975. Since that time the Redemptorists have operated a popular retreat centre and presently share the ministry with the Sisters of St. Joseph, Goulburn NSW.
St Clement's has completed a new phase in its evolution with the refurbishment of the monastery and Galong House (c1850), the home of 'Ned' Ryan and in early 2010, the Retreat House. Refurbished with modern appointments the monastery has diversified and increased its accommodation, retreat and conference facilities yet retained its historic atmosphere and quiet ambiance. A museum and library spaces have been created in Galong House to house a collection of historical significance. These new additions will encourage cultural tourism, give the site the prominence it deserves, and benefit the local community by generating employment opportunities in the small village of Galong.
The weather in August can be chilly but most activities take place indoors and the monastery buildings are comfortably heated.There is plenty of parking with drop off points close to the accommodation locations.
The centre is the ideal venue for Shamrock in the Bush in its tranquil rural setting, free from the distractions of the workplace and everyday life. It is the perfect place to relax, enjoy the expansive rural landscape in the company of others with similar interests.
This page last updated: 11 June 2013